Imperial Naval Engineers' School (ETW building)
|Imperial Naval Engineers' School|
|Turns to build:||8|
Despite the name, this naval college offers training to naval architects, shipbuilders and quarterdeck officers.
The Naval Engineers’ School began as a training school at the Golden Horn shipyards, and was put on a formal footing by Cezayirli Gazi Hasan Pasha (1713-90), the Grand Vizier of Sultan Mustafa III, and a Franco-Hungarian military adviser, François Baron de Tott. It was a part of Mustafa’s efforts to modernise the Turkish military and naval system in the face of considerable resistance from the janissaries and their leadership. The teaching given was extremely good, and produced fine officers.
Hasan Pasha is actually almost more interesting than the school, as he started life as a slave in eastern Turkey and rose through the ranks of the military. He even spent time with the Barbary Pirates of Algiers and, while there, domesticated a lion as a pet! Despite being on the losing side at Battle of Chesma in 1770 his ship, the 84-gun Real Mustafa, was one of the few on the Turkish side to emerge with any credit. His record certainly helped when it came to driving through the (limited) reforms that Mustafa managed to achieve. Baron de Tott’s other achievement was the establishment of a new cannon foundry.
This building can only be built in the faction capital.