Brandenburg Gate (ETW building)
|Turns to build:||8|
This is a magnificent monument to Prussian military prowess and the peace it obtained.
Sited on one of the original city gates of Berlin, the Brandenburg Gate stands at the end of the Unter den Linden, the original approach to the city palace of Frederick II, the King of Prussia. The monumental entrance was always intended to overawe and dwarf anyone going to the palace, making clear Prussian greatness before they had even begun their audience with the monarch.
The choice of a Classical style was quite deliberate, as it was intended to echo the achievements of Rome and Greece. The decoration of a Quadriga of Victory, or four-horse chariot, is also intended to evoke ancient connotations of triumph, specifically the quadriga from the Hippodrome of Constantinople. It was definitely a symbol of peace through strength, which is almost certainly one of the reasons that it was looted and taken to Paris by Napoleon in 1806 after his victory at Jena-Auerstedt. The quadriga was returned in 1814, when Napoleon went into exile on Elba, and given the Iron Cross symbol that it currently carries. Subsequently, the Brandenburg Gate managed to survive two World Wars and the Cold War in a relatively undamaged state.
This building can only be built in the faction capital.