Albertina Museum (ETW building)
|Turns to build:||8|
The Albertina is a collection of antiquities and objects that are the glory of Vienna.
Originally constructed as a palace by Count Emanuel Teles Silva-Tarouca on top of one of Vienna’s bastions, the count must have used his influence as master of the Court Construction Office, otherwise the defences might have been left in place. The building subsequently came into the possession of Duke Albert of Saxen-Teschen, the former governor of the Netherlands. He brought his extensive collection of artwork and antiquities back to Vienna from Brussels, and had the palace extended to hold them all.
In 1776 the collection was expanded when the Austrian ambassador in Venice, Giacomo Durazzo, gave around 1000 artworks to Duke Albert, so that they would have a safe home. The Albertina, as the collection and palace became known, survived even the collapse of Hapsburg power in 1918 at the end of the Great War, and the bombing of Vienna in the Second World War. It remains one of Europe’s great art museums.
This building can only be built in the faction capital.