Rise of the Samurai Campaign
The first downloadable campaign for Total War: Shogun 2, Rise of the Samurai centres on the Genpei War of 1180-1185, 400 years before the campaign of the main game begins. The Genpei war culminated in the first Shogunate and marked the rise of the Military (Samurai) as the ruling class.
Choose from one of six new clans, each with their own respective set of traits and bonuses, both military and economic, to give a maximum variety of game-play. As these clans have their origins in the three legendary Taira, Minamoto and Fujiwara families, regardless of which clan you choose you will always start the game with a powerful ally nearby. Using careful planning, preparation and tactics, you can decide the outcome of this war for yourself.
Rise of the Samurai contains a vast array of new content besides the new clans and families including:
- Fresh single-player campaign, co-operative and multiplayer versus gameplay on a redesigned map with new regions.
- 16 new land units: Swordsmen, Archers, Spearmen and Cavalry. The time period results in simpler, more rustic unit types and as the title suggests, units such as Foot Samurai (capable with both bow and sword) comprise much of the backbone of the armies of the Genpei War.
- 10 new naval units and 3 new naval special abilities to devastate sea-borne enemies.
- 4 new hero units including the white-faced Onna Bushi Heroine – armed with Naginata and Bow, these female Samurai are versatile cavalry that specialise in melee.
- 4 new agent types with their own unique skill trees including the Shirabyoshi, who use the art of seduction to distract enemy armies, or convince generals to join your cause and the equally persuasive Junsatsushi – capable of acquiring the allegiance of neutral and enemy towns and any forces garrisoned there.
Rise of the Samurai also allows you to experience a new historical battle, that of Anegawa, in 1570.